Another fruit crisp/bar? I realize that most of my desserts involve fruit and some type of oat. Maybe I should branch out? At least I used Ramekins to spice it up a bit. In any event, it was very easy to make and really good. Some of the butter could definitely be cut out. My changes are in green.
2 cups cooking apples, peeled and sliced (about 2 large) (cubed not sliced- to keep some texture to the fruit when cooked)
2 cups pears, peeled and sliced (about 3 large) (peeled and cubed)
1/2 cup dried cranberries
2 Tbs. brown sugar (dark)
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1-2 Tbs. lemon juice
3/4 cup water (1/2 cup – I used juicy apples (Fuji) so I reduced the water)
1 cup oats
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 brown sugar (light)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter or margarine melted
1. While peeling the apples and pears, keep them in the lemon juice so they don’t brown. Place fruit (including cranberries) in a grease shallow 9-inch square baking dish. I used 6 Ramekins. (They were 6 huge servings; I would have used 8 but only had 6 available)
2. Sprinkle 2 Tbs. dark brown sugar, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg and water (combine with apples)
3. Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl; add melted butter, mixing until crumbly. Sprinkle crumb mixture on top of the apples/pears. I pressed it into the apples a bit.
4. Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until apples are tender.
5. Serve with vanilla ice cream.